Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Purpose of This Blog

Hey people.

I've created this movie blog with a specific purpose in mind. Over the next twenty-five weeks, my goal is to work my way through a special list of 50 movies I've never seen before (well, I will rewatch about five movies I haven't seen in a long time). These movies will represent a diverse collection of films ranging from silent classics to upcoming theatrical releases. Some of these films can be found in the American Film Institute's "Top 100" movie list. Others can be found in the always reliable ten-cent VHS section at the used video-store.

I'll watch these movies over the next few months and report my findings here. This blog will be a sort of cinematic journal where I can keep track of my progress, as well as record my impressions (I also might use it to explore other movie-watching goals such as seeing every movie with Zooey Deschanel or Daniel Day-Lewis in it).

If you're interested in following along (because you don't have a life), please do. Comments, dialogue, and suggestions are always welcome.

- Cole

The List:
1. 400 Blows
2. 500 Days of Summer
3. Apocalypse Now
4. The Asphalt Jungle
5. The Band Wagon*
6. The Blair Witch Project
7. Blue Velvet
8. Breathless
9. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
10. The Conversation
11. Dangerous Liasons
12. Das Boot
13. Dead of Night
14. The Deerhunter
15. Donnie Darko
16. Dr. Strangelove
17. Dr. Zhivago
18. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
19. Following
20. The Gay Divorcee
21. Glenglarry, Glen Ross
22. Grapes of Wrath
23. La Dolce Vita
24. Lawrence of Arabia*
25. M
26. The Man Who Would Be King
27. Metropolis
28. Miller's Crossing
29. The Mission
30. Mulholland Drive
31. The Omen
32. Platoon
33. Point Blank (not to be confused with Pointe Break)
34. The Proposition
35. Raise the Red Lantern
36. Rashomon
37. Rio Bravo*
38. The Road
39. The Seventh Seal
40. Some Like It Hot
41. Sweet Smell of Success
42. The Third Man*
43. Top Hat
44. Trainspotting
45. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
46. The Unforgiven*
47. Vertigo*
48. The Wolf Man (2010)
49. The Wicker Man (most definitely not to be confused with the Nicolas Cage version)
50. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou


* The asterisk indicates movies I've already seen and want to rewatch.

1 comment:

  1. YOU HAVEN'T SEEN M?!! METROPOLIS?! ETERNAL SUNSHINE!? Dr. Strangelove?!

    you are in for so much goodness.

    ReplyDelete